Basic Teacher Training
At PHZ Zug prospective teachers are trained for the pre-school and primary level (1st to 6th school year), and, to some extent, also for the secondary level (7th to 9th school year).
Courses of Study
PHZ Zug offers the following courses of study:
- Diploma studies for teachers at the pre-school/lower primary level prepare the students for teaching at pre-school and at 1st and 2nd grade of the primary school. Course length: six semesters.
- Diploma studies for teachers at the primary level prepare the students for teaching at 1st to 6th grade of primary school. Course length: six semesters.
- Basic course for diploma studies for the lower secondary level (the main course takes place at PHZ Lucerne) prepares the students for the teaching the 7th to 9th school year. The basic course takes two semesters and the main course in Lucerne takes seven semesters.
The courses start in the middle of September each year. The course is structured in modules. The teaching language is German. The teaching diplomas are accepted in Switzerland and throughout Europe.
The courses lay a lot of stress on practice. At least 25% of the entire course time is spent on practical, occupational training. Specialised training with interdisciplinary components, training in educational theory and the relationship of the professional field to research and development are important parts of the course. Students completing the studies for pre-primary and primary school level earn the degree Bachelor of Art in Teaching.
Teaching diplomas from PHZ Zug therefore offer prospects: first they form a basis for a school career, as well as a career in economy, culture and policy, secondly they form a basis for further studies at other colleges and universities.
Admission requirement for the courses:
- an EDK (Swiss Conference of Cantonal Ministers of Education) accepted Matura certificate or an equivalent educational background;
- a certificate BA or MA;
- a completed preparatory course.
The preparatory course is a part-time course that forms a basis for the entrance examination, which entitles students to study for a diploma at the PHZ. The teaching language is German.
Admission requirements for the preparatory course:
- Federally accepted vocational Matura or
- Diploma from a completed vocational training (training period: minimum three years) with professional experience or
- Foreign high school diploma (comparable with the Matura certificate in Switzerland) combined with very good knowledge of the German language.
The preparatory course is individually structured depending on the previous knowledge of the students and lasts one semester (full-time) or two semesters (part-time, 50%). The course consists of the following school subjects: German, mathematics, English, French, natural sciences, humanities, sociology, design, music and sport.